Tuesday, August 9, 2022

The Layout

 The challenge I set for members of the Micro Model Railroad Cartel for the 2022 Christmas Challenge was to recreate Carl Arendt’s seminal layout in whatever scale/gauge combination the entrant liked as long as it kept below the traditional 4 square foot area limit. For those not familiar with the plan. This is it, shorn of all details. Mirror image versions are acceptable, the proportions could be stretched in one direction or the other. Just as long as the basic elements are there. Two curved sidings, one straight one and a sector plate with a pivot point in the corner.

Squarefoot Trackplan
If you are a member of the Cartel on Facebook you will have seem some interesting interpretations already. It’s shaping up to be quite the exciting challenge.
Me? I was feeling pretty unremarkable in my interpretation. My plan is for a straightforward enlargement of the original plan to fit the maximum area. The final subject is as yet undecided, as I feel its the scenic treatment that could set it apart from other entries.
I’ve had a few ideas, but yet nothing has grabbed me.

Perhaps a Mine

Perhaps something industrial

Perhaps something more like the original

Right now, I honestly don’t know. A couple of weeks ago, I saw some interesting pictures of a Forest of Dean freemine that would fit this track arrangement. 
I do need inspiration to strike soon otherwise I’m going to be in trouble.
But I do have a baseboard with some sleepers down…
Challenge entry, so far…



1 comment:

*Fy Merlen Bach*

Winter is coming…The phrase that spawned hundreds of cringeworthy internet memes. To me it means that any model making I do will be confined...