Saturday, September 10, 2022

LocoRemote “Huddy” part 2

Proceeding quietly in the background as I design the layout. Is the making of “Huddy”. The initial assembly was wonderful. All the parts fitted together perfectly, which really impressed me.

It sat for a few weeks while I decided what colour to paint it. Green? Blue? Red? I didn’t know. In the end I plumped for Red. Revel Italian Red to be exact. I thought this gave more of a Ransomes and Rapier feel to it.  The loco is pretty well finished now so I can share these pictures with you.

The HUDDY wording was picked out with a gold paint marker

There's little light weathering on the skip frame as well.

Picking the brake wheel out in white is a touch that I like. The black box you can see under the skip frame houses the motor

All in all, I think it looks quite passable.

I have a driver lined up for Huddy. He's from Narrow Minded Rail Works. He sits well in the cab, and looks like he could be holding onto the brake wheel or more probably resting his hand on the loco bonnet. There is even space under his feet for pedals which is a detail I'd like to get in.

The driver will be handed over to my wife for painting


The WiFi Control PCB and battery are a snug fit

The simple drive set up

The loco is powered by a small motor that sits under the skip frame. You can see the box that surrounds the motor in one of the photographs and it drives both axels by means of rubber bands, technically they are nitrile O rings, but that doesn't sound as warm and friendly. It's a snug fit as is all the control  gear and battery as you can see from the photograph. You think that it all won't fit in there but it does. And the LocoRemote control works very well indeed. Slow speed running is impressive and as there's no current to pick up from the track  it's all very smooth and faultless.
As a first 3D printed kit in 16mm scale it was a great experience. Simple to build and plenty of room to add details to suit. I have two other LocoRemote kits to build and I'm really looking forward to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Fy Merlen Bach*

Winter is coming…The phrase that spawned hundreds of cringeworthy internet memes. To me it means that any model making I do will be confined...