Friday, December 23, 2022

Moving on in the new direction

Wholesale changes are on the way for the challenge layout. Though I thought the layout was generally OK. That was it. It was just OK. It didn't grab me. So I was looking around on the good old internet Searching for structures and their arrangements to recreate. Steve Thomason's ingr.co.uk site is an excellent resource and I found plenty of ideas. Also I found the shapes of some of the buildings at Twyford Waterworks quite interesting. 

One thing I did like about the original layout was all the different materials I had reproduced in model form. Stone, brick, rusted corrugated iron etc; it suggests that building were built at different times and for different purposes. Something I felt should be carried on in the structures for the new version of the layout. 

I had in stock a lot of wooden clapboard siding. So it was inevitable that it would end up being used. So I’ve modelled a long storage shed using that. Right now, that wall looks a bit long, I may put a door in there to break it up. The length and location is nice, as it funnels the viewers gaze towards the corrugated loading point at the back.  

The long wooden wall directs your view to the back and the loading point.

The corrugated covered loading point has an interesting staggered shape and roofline

The corrugated structure will have a working wagon loader in there. My layouts invariably have working wagon loaders featured. Another interesting feature of the loading point is that in this picture at ingr.co.uk two different sizes and styles of corrugated material are clearly visible. I suspect it could be corrugated asbestos/fiber cement and corrugated iron. I have some 7/8th’s (perhaps 1” scale) corrugated material I have used for the main structure and I’m corrugating my own sheet using foil baking trays for the regular material. The contrast between the different corrugations is noticeable.
The baking tray foil based corrugated sheet doesn’t show too well in this picture.
As soon as the weather gets above freezing here I’ll get down to the garage to spray it

The Landy moves back into the scene. I do like it there.
As I write this, we are currently in the middle of the December bombogenesis (or bomb cyclone) you may be reading about in the news. Right now, it feels like -30 Fahrenheit out there. It may be above zero tomorrow. It might make it to freezing (32F) by Thursday. Then I can think about going down to the garage to spray paint the loading point. Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Fy Merlen Bach*

Winter is coming…The phrase that spawned hundreds of cringeworthy internet memes. To me it means that any model making I do will be confined...