Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Day 21. All in all it’s just another brick in the wall

Those were the words running though my head as I was putting together the sand bin for the layout. You can see why… I marked out the courses to help me see them as I scribed the board. There’s no doubt about it. It’s a Pink Floyd Wall. 
So they weren’t bricks in the wall they were breeze blocks
I have been thinking about the sand bin for a long time. What’s the best way to model it? This is 16mm scale. The breeze blocks (cinder blocks) such a bin would be made from have size. Approximately 22mm x 11mm x 11mm in 16mm scale. So there’s no cutting corners really. 
This is my first attempt at recreating the bin. Using foamcore board. This board is too thin to represent the older thicker concrete breeze blocks. But it’s the correct thickness for the more modern, lighter, cinder blocks. So it might work. This is going to be something that will be moved on and off the layout as it gets filled. So it also needs to be quite sturdy and to take the weight of the Woodland scenics ballast that I will be tipping. Some testing of how much handling the bin will take is needed.

There’s one other thing that the structure looks like in its current state. A urinal at a lower league English Football ground…

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Fy Merlen Bach*

Winter is coming…The phrase that spawned hundreds of cringeworthy internet memes. To me it means that any model making I do will be confined...