Monday, August 29, 2022

Track laying.

 At some point I have to face the laying of the track for this layout. I've been putting it off for a while, using the excuse of lack of inspiration for the model. But that's no excuse, the track plan is set in stone. I'd even glued the sleepers down.

To be honest, I was reticent about bending the rail. That's all. I remember bending some code 100 using a Roy C Link rail bender and I struggled a bit. Naturally I thought that Code 125 being a bigger rail section would be harder to work with. 

The tools after the job was done
I sourced a larger rail bender off eBay for a reasonable price. There are some very expensive ones out there, that was another factor in the delay of work. I wasn’t going to spend over $100 on one. 
The spikes were large ones from Micro Engineering. I figured working in a large scale, large spikes would work the best. A pair of spiking pliers are a necessity. Finally a small sharp point for poking through the sleepers to start the spiking. 

Away we go!
First off, I should be honest and say that I didn't enjoy the process too much. I was enthralled with the fact that I was discovering a new technique. But it wasn't a technique I was excited by. Yes, it's the only way to do what I want with the track work, but I certainly wouldn't want to do it on a large layout. Perhaps years and years of laying PECO flexible track have spoiled me. On the other hand it may be a technique you have to be in the mood for. Like when I painted the sleepers on T gauge track.
Onto the process itself.
Pre bending the track came first, and I made several easy passes through the rail bender to make sure I got the curve right, or at least close. I marked up the track before hand and managed to leave a section straight before the curve. Then I spiked the first rail in place, following a line I drew on the tops of the sleepers. 
Starter hole
First I punctured the sleeper with a sharp point so that I didn't have to shove the spike through the sleeper. I wondered if the force of pushing the spike might deform the sleeper and break the glue bond. At least this way they didn't. My chosen adhesive is an outdoor grade extra strength woodworking glue from Elmers. It seems to hold the ties in place well.
Spiking away
Spiking was an unremarkable task. Punch the sleeper, push the spike in. Punch the sleeper, push the spike in, and so on.
You can see that I used an NMRA standards plate gauge to keep the track in gauge. The instructions with one, say it's not recommended for track laying. But as I wan't doing any soldering or gluing or anything I thought I was safe. Putting the second rail in is the same as the first. Punch the sleeper, push the spike in. Punch the sleeper, push the spike in. I think this is a task you have to be in the mood to do. Like I said, I was a little excited at learning a new skill, but I wouldn't want to do it for more than a couple of hours at a time. The great joy with a micro layout is that you can very easily see the end of the job in hand. 
After two stints over two evenings, with no points/switches to lay, I have the track laid.
Track laid. Job done!
This was the task I was dreading the most, completed, and as my locomotives are going to operated by the LocoRemote WiFI system I don't even have to worry about wiring. Another least favourite task dealt with.  This might be as far as things go for a while because I really have to finish off my APA box layout ready for Trainfest in Milwaukee. Maybe I can work on both at the same time...



1 comment:

  1. Ian, what is the part number for the Plastruct piece you used for the sleepers? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

*Fy Merlen Bach*

Winter is coming…The phrase that spawned hundreds of cringeworthy internet memes. To me it means that any model making I do will be confined...