Monday, September 5, 2022

Back to the sketchbook

 I made a trip to my local hobby shop (Hub Hobby in Richfield, MN. A 40 mile trip) on Saturday to get some paints to finish off “Huddy”, more on that when it’s finished. While I was there I was rootling through the 1:18 automobile shelves. Let’s face it 1:18 scale is as near as dammit the same as 1:19.05 for 16mm scale. I was still rather keen on a suitably sized car on the layout. A Landy (Land Rover) would be nice, but not surprisingly there wasn’t one around. But what I did see was this:

Do these 1:18 scale tools hold the key to the layout?

Tools. 1:18 scale workshop tools no less. In my blockings in. I had mooted the idea of a workshop in the distance. I like the idea of a workshop scene. I had a very nice one on Purespring Watercress, 

Purespring Watercress workshop

It garnered a lot of attention. Perhaps another one would be in order. With almost scale sized tools, it would be a lot easier. Tool chests, Air compressor, Welding equipment. I looked further and I find that there’s a lot of 1:18 scale automotive workshop equipment out there. 

My mind went to the sketchbook. Now that I have blocked in photo’s that I was very happy with. I could use those as a basis for my iPad musings.

A front three-quarter vision of the layout with workshop

Only the layout operator will get to see this view of the layout
Looking at these I think a workshop scene is a really good idea, and right now I really like the idea of scratch building a 16mm scale pillar drill. It will probably be easier than making a Land Rover.
A workshop scene it is then.


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Fy Merlen Bach*

Winter is coming…The phrase that spawned hundreds of cringeworthy internet memes. To me it means that any model making I do will be confined...