Friday, September 2, 2022

More Blocking In

Wednesday nights blocking in session went really well. A lot of food for thought. This spurred me on for further explorations. 

(1) An overall view. Changes from yesterday might look minimal. But I brought in my 7/8ths inch scale garden shed (now that's a big, little, building) to stand in for the structure I've been calling the boiler house. I like the chimney up front. It helps to create that nook or cranny the viewer can look around to get drawn into the scene. That way I can keep the other structure at the back to reinforce the forced perspective effect.

(2) Down at eye level. The chimney is still nice here and I love the forced perspective in the model. There’s a “layering" of the different scales that I really like. 

(3) Moving the chimney towards the rear is what really accentuates the forced perspective. If I’m honest I think I prefer the chimney at the rear. The chute you can see was for when the building was planned for Cuddle. It tips perfectly into a Gn15 skip. Not so a 16mm scale one. Modification would be in order.

(4)  A Cardboard box stands in for some structure or other. I think a structure here with 16mm scale brickwork would really accentuate the layers of the forced perspective. 

(5) The first picture where I actually don’t like the location of the chimney. I'm feeling cramped. Perhaps something else could be used to create the nook and cranny here.  I did toy with the idea of a 1/18 scale vehicle here, like a Landrover, that was, until I saw the price of one. Don't ask...

(6) Ooh look! There’s a door. I wonder what could be in there? Little details like that ask questions of you and draw you into the layout. You might not be able to see the interior of the building, but you can still be drawn in.

(7) This is a nice view. Properly cluttered up, it could be a nice vignette.

All in all, I think I'm there. I think I have a real idea of how everything needs to come together now. I feel that I may have set myself too much work to get this layout finished for the December deadline of the Cartel challenge. But I think the end product is going to be worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I often get a good feeling when I come up with a concept. This time I get a really good feeling about it.

      Delete

*Fy Merlen Bach*

Winter is coming…The phrase that spawned hundreds of cringeworthy internet memes. To me it means that any model making I do will be confined...