Wednesday, January 18, 2023

A new addition to the roster.

Say “Hello” to Amberley
After all last weeks activity, I decided to take a brief step back from the layout. Things have been going pretty well, but I need to think about a few details and consider what the best way to do them is. So I decided to build one of the LocoRemote kits I had in stock. It’s the Brush battery electric number 16303 from 1917 loco that ran at His Majesties Explosives Factory at Queensferry in North Wales. 

All the Brush b/e locomotives in preservation are rather unique/ugly in appearance (depending on your opinion) and when Chris Rennie at LocoRemote announced his intention to release a 3D printed kit of the models in preservation I couldn’t decide which one to buy. In the end I went to for the Amberley one. It’s called Amberley because that’s where it’s preserved. I like the curved battery compartment covers over the more angular ones of the version from Manod. 

I shan’t give you a blow-by-blow account of how I built it. Just to say that it is to the same high standards as Chris’ other kits. Everything fits perfectly together, and there’s only a few parts that need to be glued. The battery and control unit are under one of the battery compartment lids and weights under the other. Both are hinged to open, you will need to get at the LiPo battery to change it when it needs to be recharged. The on/off switch for the power unit is in the side of the compartment but is very unobtrusive.

The cab is rather cramped, and as a consequence, the figures that will fit in there are limited. Clavey Models in the UK make a couple but as the shipping for a single driver is over twice the cost of a figure, I won’t be in a hurry to get one. Perhaps wait until I need a few and get a bulk shipping rate. Besides, the loco needs painting, and it’s going to be a couple of months before the temperatures here in Minnesota warm up enough to go down to the garage and spray paint things.

Anyway, there you go. A great little model. One that makes me glad to be working in 16mm.

Amberley hogs the spotlight, Huddy lurks in the background

Amberley looks tall but still just fits under the door

Overall, a pleasing addition to the fleet.



No comments:

Post a Comment

*Fy Merlen Bach*

Winter is coming…The phrase that spawned hundreds of cringeworthy internet memes. To me it means that any model making I do will be confined...