Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Day 13. Jiggery Pokery.

There’s a lot of glue setting going on on the layout today as I prepare to think about boxing the layout up in its display case to help protect the EPS substructure.
If you’ve been following along with the blog posts. Then you will have noticed that I have made several jigs to ease construction of layout elements. Here they are gathered together for a photograph.
All the jigs
It was James Hilton, in his blog at Christmas who described his use of jigs or templates, on a project he was working on. The relevant part of the video is here. I took this information on board and saved it 'til later. As I started work on this layout I realised that now was the time to make use of this insight. 
The jigs were all very simple and very easy to make. They were made from foamcore and stripwood. Oh, and one piece of embossed styrene that just happened to be the right size.
The one that looks least like a jig, the large carpenters square, was pretty important as it enabled me to lay the sections of stripwood for the tipping dock deck and retaining walls squarely.
Above that is my old faithful mitre box. It was taped to a piece of foamcore and an adjustable stop, also made of foamcore, was taped at varying distances to get the correct length of decking, posts and styrene girders that I needed.
Above that, the one that I used to make the three rail fence. That one took some working out, getting the rails at the right height.
To the right of that is the one I’m most proud of. If one can said to be proud of a jig. The one used for the posts for the safety railing on the tipper deck
To the right of that, is the one for the bents to support the deck. It was the first one I made and if I had made it later, after having built the others. Then I would have probably done something different. But this did the job perfectly.
These simple jigs made the constructional tasks on this project much easier. They were really easy to assemble. If you ever have to do several of the same thing on a project, then you should probably be assembling a jig. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Fy Merlen Bach*

Winter is coming…The phrase that spawned hundreds of cringeworthy internet memes. To me it means that any model making I do will be confined...