Monday, August 21, 2023

Day 27-28-29 Building the fiddle yard.

This was always going to be a tough one. I was dreading this more than anything. Adding the sector plate. Making something fit onto the end of the layout. It didn’t need to me much more than a foot square. In the end I went for 13” x 10” (330mm x 250mm). 
On the face of it it was a simple task. Build the frame, put a surface on it, (though that’s not entirely necessary, I just felt better putting one on) and set up the joining of it to the main section case.
Woodworking is never simple with me. You’ll recall my shock at competently building the case. The project used up all my good luck. It was downhill from here on.
Making the template for the fiddle yard end.
I shan’t recount the problems I had. Cutting wood to the correct length, getting the correct angles on the support struts. Even drilling holes for the screws was a problem. I stripped a couple of pozi-drive screwdriver tips and screws. I was at the point of quitting.
“If this screw doesn’t go in, problem free, this time. I’m quitting for the day” I was in the depths of despair. If the screw hadn’t gone in. I would likely have been in tears. Luckily it went in. It’s a shambolic piece of woodworking. But it is on there. Flat and level.
I hope you can’t see all the cock-ups.
I can console myself with the thought that the list of things to do on this layout is now so short, that the layout is almost finished. The wagon loading funnel needs rivets adding and painting, then it can be installed on the layout. Lots of detailing bits and pieces, (a never ending task). 
A system for the unloader needs to be devised. I know it can easily be done by hand. But I don’t know wether to do a hidden manual system or automatic tipping rail. I like to be “hands on” in operating the layout. I could do a simple hidden “pusher” to tip the wagon, or I could try to devise a more complicated system, where a figure could be seen to be tipping the wagon by hand. That would be neat. That would need some serious thought. 
Finally, the train cassettes need to be designed. I’d like an individual cassette to each train. One that could act as storage and protection away from shows, as well as during. I’ll probably have to design and make a few prototypes first. I have some ideas on this. On the strength of the past few days work, they certainly won’t be wooden ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Fy Merlen Bach*

Winter is coming…The phrase that spawned hundreds of cringeworthy internet memes. To me it means that any model making I do will be confined...